Ms. Sara Cowey (SMHS: 1992-current)
- 1986- 1990: University of San Francisco, B.S., Math Major, Lady Dons Soccer Player (1986-1988)
- 1992: San Francisco State, Single Subject Math Credential
- 1993- 2008 Continuing Education: SFSU, USD, University of Phoenix
- 2005 - USD: Character Education Certificate (certification in progress)
- 2013-2015 - CSUEB, M.S.. Masters Degree in Educational Leadership
- 2008- Current: CADA Member (California Association of Activities Directors, conference presenter: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- 2008-2012 Jostens Renaissance National Conference Attendee
- 2014 - Jostens National Conference Presenter
- 2008 - Current: CARE Board Member (California Association of Renaissance Educators)
All about me:
After attending USF, I went to SFSU to complete my teacher training. I was a student teacher at El Camino High School, South San Francisco, CA. I have been teaching at San Mateo High School since 1992. I have taught Algebra 1, Integrated Math 1, Geometry 1 and Algebra 2. This year I am teaching Algebra 1, Leadership and Renaissance Leadership. I want all students to grow and become life long learners. As a Leadership teacher I will encourage all students to expand their horizons, celebrate, collaborate and recognize their fellow Bearcats. Bearcat Leaders are changing lives and impacting futures in a positive way everyday.
Co-curricular involvement at SMHS:
- Interact Advisor (1995-2000)
- Class Advisor (Class of 2000, 1998-200)
- Girls Soccer Coach JV and Varsity (1992-1996)
- Activities Director (2000-current)
- Leadership Teacher (2000-current)
- Jefferson Awards Facilitator (2005-current)
- Renaissance Facilitator (2008-current)
- Site Leadership Team Member
Awards for SMHS Leadership in the Area of Community Service:
- 2007 San Mateo County Schools Kent Award for the SMHS Canned Food Drive
- 2007 San Mateo Chamber of Commerce Recognition for Service in San Mateo
- 2008 Jefferson Award-Youth Service Initiative: Best in the Bay Area
- 2011 National Youth Service Challenge Winner, "Best Project" in the area of Food and Hunger
- 2009 - 2015 Jefferson Awards "Students In Action" GOLD Level Leadership Award
Awards and Commendation for Sara Cowey:
- 2008 SMHS Jefferson Award
- 2013 CADA "Master Activities Advisor" Certification
- 2013 CADA Bob Burton Spirit Award
- 2015 CARE Hall Of Fame Award
- 2016 Jostens Renaissance Hall of Fame Award
"In the Western tradition, we have focused on teaching as a skill and forgotten what Socrates knew: teaching is a gift, learning is a skill." -Peter Drucker
NOTE TO PARENTS & GUARDIANS:
Greetings Parents/Guardians of Ms. Cowey's Math Students:
As parents what you can do to help at home.
Encourage daily effort on Homework and revising notes.
¬ If they ask you for help, work through the problem by using “leading” questions, as opposed to telling them how to do the problem.
¬ Help them identify a strategy when solving problems.
¬ Ask the questions as if you were trying to solve it.
¬ BE patient: Major ideas take time to learn; mastery requires time.
¬ Contact me at school if you have questions or concerns. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
¬ Register for “SCHOOL LOOP” http://www.smhs.schoolloop.com
for current assignments, grades and announcements
· Display a “CAN DO” attitude –Some people do not LOVE math…Speaking in a positive ways does wonders for our mindset. We are looking for growth and mastery over time. “YES WE CAN”- Remind them to keep at it and believe we can – We will all learn a lot!
In addition, students can get help during tutorial twice a week Wednesdays & Fridays and/or at the homework center after school Monday through Thursday. Help is available almost every day!
If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s performance in this class, please feel free to email or call me anytime.
LEARN NOW…SOAR FOR A LIFETIME
Thanks in advance for your support.
If you have any questions, concerns or comments, please send me an e-mail and I will get back to you within 24 hours :)
HAVE AN AMAZING YEAR!